ALS Gold Medal longlist announced
After viewing over 80 entries, the ASAL judging panel has announced the 2013 ALS Gold Medal longlist. The chosen titles were said to represent ‘both the quality and diversity of Australian literary publishing’, said the judges of the award.
The ALS Gold Medal this year will be judged by Curtain University’s Jo Jones (chair) and Paul Genoni, and University of Western Australia Publishing director Terri-ann White, who will between them select an author who’s work exudes ‘outstanding literary merit’ and was published in the previous calendar year.
The longlisted titles are:
- Lola Bensky by Lily Brett
- Darkness on the Edge of Town by Jessie Cole
- Questions of Travel by Michelle de Kretser
- Montebello by Robert Drewe
- The Engagement by Chloe Hooper
- Cumulus: Collected Poems by Robert Gray
- Like a House on Fire by Cate Kennedy
- Lost Voices by Christopher Koch
- The Mountain by Drusilla Modjeska
- The History of Books by Gerald Murnane
- The Fine Colour of Rust by P A O’Reilly
- The Light Between Oceans by M S Stedman
The shortlist will be announced 18th March, with the announcement of the winner to follow in July at the Association for the Study of Australian Literature (ASAL) conference.