Little ways to include fitness in your life
The good news is that getting fit doesn’t have to be a hard slog on the treadmill. The general guideline is 30 minutes’ exercise a day, and there are plenty of fun ways to increase your exercise that don’t require too much of your time.
– Go for a walk – either get up half an hour earlier and go for a walk or run through your neighbourhood or a power walk at the beach. You can also get off the bus a stop or two earlier and walk the rest of the way to your destination.
– Cycle – instead of driving or carpooling, ride your bike.
– Swim – if you have a pool in your backyard, gym or friend’s backyard, then get in it. Swimming uses every muscle in the body and you don’t get all sweaty.
– Dance – if you want to have fun while exercising, then joining a dance or Zumba class can be a great way to burn calories and put a grin on your face. Do it with friends so you throw yourself into the moves and don’t take yourself too seriously!
– Stairs – if you can, the take the stairs a day or two each week instead of the elevator.
– Hydrate – don’t forget to drink more water when exercising to stay hydrated.
– Get a pedometer – get a step counter or a Fitbit to keep track of your progress.