Potential Housemates – The Questions You Need To Ask
Flying the coop and setting up your own house for the first time can be one of the most exciting and fun events in your life. It can also be one of the most stressful, particularly if you move in with the wrong people.
To avoid hell under your own roof and ensure only awesome memories are made, here’s a list of questions for you to ask potential housemates before they move in. These are designed to give you a bit of an insight into the type of person they are, and help you decide whether you want to take the plunge and share the same abode. (Before you ask your questions, make sure you know the type of housemate you want to live with and what answers you want from your ideal housemate. Otherwise, their answers will be meaningless to you!)
- What is your schedule like? Are you a night-owl or an early riser?
- What things annoy you most?
- Do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend? If yes – how often would they be coming over? If no – do you tend to have ‘special night-time visitors’ regularly? (try not to sound like a judgemental psycho when you ask this – just keep it casual)
- How would you describe your lifestyle? What do you do for fun? (active/musical/quiet etc.)
- Do you smoke? (Also, if you’re a smoker, make sure you let them know you are)
- What are you looking for in an ideal roommate?
- What items would you be bringing with you if we moved in together?
- Do you have any specific rules/food tastes? (strict vegan/only eat yellow things etc.)
- Have you ever lived with a roommate before? If yes, why aren’t you living together any longer?
- How do you tend to keep your current house/room? (try and suss out if they are clean freaks or more on the messy side. The more casual the approach, the more honest the answer)
- How would your friends describe you?
- Do you have a steady source of income? (basically, you want to make sure that they have a regular job/income source so that you’re never left in the lurch when the rent’s due or bills need to be paid)