The path to graduation…
Graduation. It’s the light at the end of the tunnel, the beeping of the microwave, the caramel at the centre of the Caramello Koala and… well you get the idea. It’s the point at which you can finally let out a sigh after all those years of tormenting assignments, monotonous lectures and know-it-all loudmouths that ask ridiculous questions. Looking forward is one thing but getting to that point takes a lot of hard work and determination.
As I’m sure most of you will know by now, uni is not always a walk in the park. Here are some tips to help you concentrate on your end goal.
- Sleep – Sure, it seems like you get more done when you don’t, but trust me you need sleep. It recharges your brain, your cells repair themselves and your body replaces important hormones
- Socialise – This may seem contradictory to getting your work done, but no one is a robot (contrary to what you might think), and hanging out with friends relieves stress.
- Plan – Having a study plan is incredibly important, time management skills and foresight will be needed here, see this blog entry for more info.
- Exercise – Many people think exercise involves strenuous workouts or complicated machines at the gym, but we often forget walking is exercise too. Walking reduces your risk of disease and increases blood flow to the brain – so walk! Even if it’s just to the fridge to get yourself a snack, which brings me to my next point….
- Eat well – This really comes down to that old idiom, ‘you are what you eat’. If you eat well you’ll feel better and have more energy to do what you want to, simple as that.
These things may seem trivial but all too often we neglect them. Ah, graduation… think how sweet it’ll be when we get there in one piece!